February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
In 2021 , Alaska's Governor, Mike Dunleavy officially proclaimed the month of February Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. On a national level, both Chambers of Commerce have also declared the February as Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. It’s extremely important to bring light this important topic and bring awareness to help stop and prevent teen dating violence.
The statistics of teen dating violence are surprising and frightening. According to www.teendvmonth.org, nationally there are 4,105 teenagers are victims of dating violence each day. 10% of U.S. teens have been victims of dating violence, 23% of females experienced dating violence before rape and 10% reported victimization for a dating partner. In 2019 in Alaska, 10 percent of Alaskan students ages 15-18 experienced physical dating violence and 8.47 percent of students ages 15-18 experienced sexual dating violence. (Alaska’s Youth Risk Behavior Survey).
Signs of Abuse Include:
· Extreme jealousy
· Isolation from friends and family
· No privacy – monitoring phone, social media accounts etc.
· Temper or angry outbursts
· Name calling or insults
· Pressure into sexual activity
· Threatening physical violence
· Causing physical harm
If you or someone you know might be in an abusive relationship please consider:
· Reaching out to a trusted friend, teacher, parent, or mentor
· Seeking the guidance of a school counselor
· Getting involved in activities you enjoy to surround you with positive people
· Calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE (7233)
· Calling the National Sexual Assault Hotline 800-656-4673
· Contacting the National Domestic Violence Hotline Chat Service at www.thehotline.org
Additionally, in Alaska you can reach out to a confidential advocate at any time by calling 907-452-2293.
Awareness is the first step in putting an end to teen dating violence. Please visit the resources below to learn more about teen dating violence and what you can do to help stop abuse:
Interior Alaska: https://iacnvl.org/teen-dating-violence/